Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sunday Night Weather and Monday's Plan

Tomorrow I will have to play things by ear. We have received almost 10" of snow here, and while the local authorities have done an impressive job keeping roads somewhat clear, we are expecting a few more inches tonight and everything will freeze up. Behind the snow is cold air and tomorrow's temperatures won't get above freezing until late so I am not sure what the roads are going to be like when I set off. In any case, it won't be until 10 am at the earliest. This does not leave much time to explore on my way to Wilmington, North Carolina.

Already, Cape Hattaras is out of the question as the ferries have been suspended and, well, its a dead end. So, I suppose it will be an even LONGER time until I get to visit this cape. Alas. There are some interesting places along the coastal bays which I would hope to visit -- roads allowing. These include the red wolf habitat of the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge, and the pocosin wetlands of the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge. These are all out of the way places so I am not hopeful they will be accessible. I might just wind up driving, very slowly, to Wilmington.

No comments: