Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Charleston, South Carolina


I have fond memories of Charleston, thinking it a beautiful and interesting city. Of course until today, I had not visited in the past 20 years. It is the arch-typical southern city, with plantation style architecture, narrow streets lined with Spanish moss draped laurel oak trees.




There are many beautiful parks and gardens, though the most interesting seem to be tucked away in private, walled off areas around the stately homes.

Like all cities, Charleston is not just the central historic district, but a large and diverse gathering of people of all backgrounds. The poverty of the area is not far away and it appeared to me a city, not unlike Baltimore, of stark and opposing contrasts; of rich and poor -- two worlds set apart, where each is an unwanted visitor in the other's home.

So, truth be told the city did not live up to my memories. This I take to mean that I have finally and irrevocably become a country boy; a realization that I simply don't like cities. Really, historic Charleston is very beautiful and steeped in history. If you can't like this city then, well, you ain't gonna be likin' cities atall. That, apparently is where I am for the city held little appeal for me.

I suppose if you are into war then the history of the place may be of interest. War is not my gig and so the guns surrounding the city, what they mean today and what they meant 150 years ago, are of little import. (Though the boat ride out to Fort Sumter might be interesting -- at least there would be some pelicans!) I visit places like this and can only think we pay far too much attention glorifying our warrior moments, forgetting the tragedy; the death and destruction war brings. Alas.


Charleston Wetlands


Now on the other hand, the city was not without its wetlands, small and confined as they may be.

No comments: